Scavenger Hunt Boundaries: 23rd-27th Streets between Adams Avenue and Monroe Blvd.
Preserving the Past to Make the Future
History of Ogden
The first settlement in Ogden was in 1846 by Trapper Miles Goodyear at a trading post named Fort Buenaventura. It was purchased in 1847 by Mormon settlers and renamed "Brownsville."
The name was later changed to Ogden, named after Peter Skene Ogden from the Hudson Bay Fur Trapping Company. When the railroad arrived in 1869, Ogden became the "junction" of the railroad lines because passengers had to switch trains in Ogden in order to continue their journey.